Friday, July 24, 2015

What Defines Our Worth?


This is one of my favorite poems. It is by Erin Hanson. Not only is it one of my favorites, it has popped up in my life over 7 times in the past 3 days, between social media and Pinterest. So I concluded that it was a prompt from God to write about this topic. -Maddie
      The big question is "What defines our worth?"  That question is a very very very important question to know the answer to. This poem talks about our worth, how it's not surface level. It says that we need to look within. First lets talk about what our worth is NOT found in. Girls, our worth is not found in what people think of us. Our worth is not found in our appearance. 1 Samuel 16:7b says, “The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
Our worth is not found in our popularity, or how many followers/friends we have. Our worth is found in God. Only God can give us our worth. NOTHING ELSE CAN. "The number of followers we have does not make you better than anyone else. Hitler had millions, Jesus had 12."
        As girls, we often feel the need to prove our worth to the world. However, this doesn't make one bit of sense. Galatians 1:10 says,Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
We don't need to prove our worth to the world, because the world can not add one ounce of worth to our lives. Our worth can only found in Christ. 
       So when you are feeling looked down upon by others, or feeling worthless, don't feel that way! Why? Because your worth is not defined by human standards.  Your worth is defined by Christ Jesus.
 Always remember this:  
"Your value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth." 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Maddi and Ashley Thanks for sharing this poem. I haven't come across it before. I was searching for poems about trust. I live in Australia and have a daughter who is 10years old. Last year I started a Mother Daughter Circle to support our girls through their teenage years. We have a cirlce this Sunday and I will be sharing this poem with our girls. So lovely to come across your Blog. Keep up the great work. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi girls, will be sharing this poem with the writer's group at my church. I know you didn't write it but I appreciated your blog post underneath.
    Thanks, Theo

    ReplyDelete